If you are a baseball fan maybe you’ve heard of the MLB Fancave, it’s a place where one lucky person is going to spend the entire baseball season and get to watch every single major league game this coming season. In the words of Napoleon Dynamite… LUCKY! They also get to meet players and celebrities and pretty much live the coolest possible life ever for an entire baseball season!
I sent The Artist Formerly Known as Rick 50 questions to get to know him a little better and he was nice enough to answer them all and play along! See what he’s all about in
3… 2… 1… GO!
1. Tell me your basics… Name, age, where you live?
I’m Ricardo Marquez, 26, and I live in Covina, CA. Home of old people and where the TV show Roswell was filmed.
2. Why do you belong in the MLB Fancave?
I don’t know if I BELONG in the MLB Fan Cave. I’d say I was born for it. MLB Fan Cave is going to need someone to bring the jokes and bring some posi-vibes to the cave. I think I’m that man that can do all that.
3. Have you ever named a pet with a team reference involved? Example?
I named a bird I used to have “San Diego Chicken”. Really screwed up his personality. I felt bad when he tried to lay eggs.
4. What is your favorite non-sports movie?
Kazaam. Hands down. Proved to me that you could make the worst thing in life and people would still love you. Wait, that wasn’t a sports movie right?
5. Favorite sports movie?
Air Bud Seven Inning Fetch. Actually, Sandlot would be the best. I’d say something like Bull Durham or Eight Men Out but I think I’ve seen Sandlot about a million times. Same for Rookie of the Year.
6. Favorite band/musician?
I listen to way too much music to really narrow down my favorite band but Thrice is pretty high up there. Only band I can legitimately say I’ve seen since they first started. If I get in the Fan Cave I would love to invite them to come play.
7. What is the best album ever made?
Again, too many albums. At the current moment the new Bon Iver and Antlers have been playing constantly.
8. Do you have a favorite comedian?
Rodney Dangerfield. The guy’s delivery was so spot on it was ridiculous he didn’t get any respect in his house. “One time my girlfriend say to come on over cause no one was home. I showed up and she was right. NO ONE WAS HOME!” CLASSIC
9. What is your favorite baseball team?
Yankees. I can’t even joke around like that. Angels bud! Come on! Since the day I was born, the Angels have been a part of my life.
10. Who is your favorite all time player from that team?
A lot of people think I’m joking around but Chili Davis was probably my all time favorite. Tim Salmon super close second. Chili Davis wasn’t exactly the greatest but he definitely wasn’t the worst. One of the first games I actually remember going to, Chili went like 4-4 against the Yankees. Unreal.
11. What made you become a fan of that team?
My mom did actually. Most of my family are pretty die-hard Dodger fans. My mom kind of steered me the right way. Also, my Little League was the Angels so that pretty much solidify my fandom.
12. If you were stranded on an island what three things would you want with you?
A boat, unlimited supply of gas, and baseball cap. I’M ON A BOAT MOTHA…
13. If you had three wishes (can’t ask for unlimited wishes) from a magical genie what would they be?
To live in the MLB Fan Cave, unlimited supply of pizza on command, and for the Angels to win the World Series at least once every 5 years. Baseball would suck if there was no competition.
14. What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done for someone else?
Like in love or just risked my life for? I work for a Mobile Video Game Co. so one time while working a party, I jumped in the middle of the street to grab a toddler who took off towards a car. That was pretty gnarly.
15. Name the baseball players you’ve met? If too many name top 5…
I’ve met a few but the coolest have to be Tony Gwynn, Stephen Strasburg, Torii Hunter, Jered Weaver, and Rickey Henderson. Although Fred Lynn was super cool. With Henderson, I had to talk in third person to try and get him to sign a card. It was ridiculously funny.
16. Have you ever bungee jumped or went sky diving?
Nope. Never want to. I can’t even get on some roller coasters at Disneyland.
17. What is your favorite vacation spot? Perfect vacation?
Visiting a ballpark would have to be that. Two summers ago, some friends and I have made it a goal to visit every park before we get married or unfortunately pass away so going to a new ballpark is a pretty religious experience. Fun fact, Oakland A’s have quite possibly the funniest fans to watch a game with.
18. What do you do for a living?
I work for Games2U. It is a Mobile Entertainment Co. for parties whether it be celebrities, private birthdays, camps, etc. Pretty rad job. I get paid to have fun. Although it’s only part-time, it pays my booze funds.
19. Do you cry when you watch movies?
Last movie I cried in was Field of Dreams last week.
20. Most people have a musical guilty pleasure… What’s yours?
Ha you’re probably going to find some weird stuff on my iPod. Janis Ian and Wham! are two that make my friends go “Uh what dude?”
21. If you had to change your name, and there were no limitations except a first, middle and last name, what would you change it to?
The Artist Formally Known As Rick
22. How do you feel about zombie movies?
They rule. Whether they are amazing or terrible, always fun to watch.
23. Which is your favorite Looney Tunes character and why?
Taz. My uncle actually had Taz tatted on his calf and reminded me of him when he would have Boxing Matches. Unfortunately he passed away in ’96 so Taz is a sentimental character.
24. Have you ever traveled outside of the continental U.S.? If so where?
Only place outside of U.S. is Mexico. My dad sides lives down there. And no, they are not part of the cartel.
25. If you make the Fancave, what are your plans for after the season ends?
I actually have no clue. Hopefully it brings up some writing gigs or the Angels offer me a job in their communications/social media department. I would love to work for the Angels Organization but realize so do hundreds of thousands of fans.
26. What do you think is the most unbreakable record in baseball?
Probably Barry Bonds home run record. Tainted or not, that record is untouchable and remarkably insane to get. Kudos to Bonds. Sorry about the ’02 loss bro! ha.
27. Tell me your feelings on Pete Rose… Does he belong in the Hall? Be specific.
Pete Rose belongs in the Hall of Fame. A lot of baseball purists want to crucify the man but people have done a lot worse in life. Yes, stupid decision to bet on the game while you’re playing, but it’s technically the same as some players playing in Fantasy Baseball leagues.
28. What is your most prized baseball memorabilia?
Most recently a signed Torii Hunter ball I got a few weeks ago. Unless I get a Chili Davis bat or ball signed then that is gonna be high up there.
29. What do you prefer, pitchers duel or slugfest? Why?
Slugfests for the win. Mashing balls over the wall is probably the most exciting thing in the game! They even have fireworks for it. Unless you can get an M-80 going off after every strike out then Slugfests are the better of the two.
30. Have you ever milked a cow?
Yes and I was absolutely awesome at it.
31. Ever have a near death experience?
I’ve been in a few. Actually, every time the McRib comes around and I eat one I feel like I’m in a battle to fight for my life.
32. Which major league team do you most despise and why?
Probably the Yankees. I respect the team and can’t dismiss all they’ve done for the sport and the amazing talent they have/had but come on, you can’t just buy a championship. Rangers are slowly creeping up.
33. What’s the best baseball nickname ever?
Hammerin’ Hank or Sultan of Swat are probably the best.
34. Which of the Muppets do you most relate to? Why?
YES A MUPPET QUESTION!! I’d say Fozzie because we both have the cheesiest jokes and are terrible at our comedic craft. Although, Statler and Waldorf (two old guys) have quite possibly the best jokes out of the bunch.
35. What’s one question I haven’t asked that you wish I had asked?
How do I keep my six pack with all the food I eat.
36. How do you react to a flying cockroach? Or a huge spider? Ultimately, do you scream like a girl or are you totally manly when seeing a huge insect?
I scream in my head then get that thing out of where I’m at. Bugs scare me.
37. If you will, pick one best pitcher and one best hitter in major league baseball…
Oh man. Tough one. Ruth vs. Williams comes up to mind right away. I mean, Ruth had some solid numbers and he pitched for four years. So who’s to know how monstrous his numbers could have been if he had hit those four years instead. Ruth for batting and probably Roger Clemens in terms of pitching.
38. Rally squirrel or rally monkey?
Rally Monkey. And I hate that thing. He’s helping the Angels out!
39. Better signing, Tigers getting Fielder or Angels getting Pujols? Why?
In terms of RIGHT NOW, I’d say Pujols. In terms of Longevity I’d say Fielder. Although, Pujols is a modern day Babe Ruth so I think the Angels won the off-season signing trophy.
40. Best baseball hairdo, 93 Phillies type mullet or Oscar Gamble/Coco Crisp afro?
Randy Johnson’s mane. LOOK AT THIS HAIR!
41. Best baseball manager ever?
I could easily say Connie Mack, Casey Stengel, or Joe McCarthy, but for some weird reason I want to say Tony La Russa. Maybe it’s cause of that miraculous season he had with the Cardinals and the way he left on top but he holds that spot for me at the moment. Mike Scioscia needs to win one or two titles and I’ll give him that coveted spot.
42. Best era of baseball?
43. What is your favorite Sunday paper cartoon of all time?
Marmaduke. HES SO CRAZY!
44. Ever had a baseball make you cry from sadness? If so explain…
I did. I actually made a video about it and it’s up on YouTube.
45. What is the grossest food you’ve ever eaten?
Cow brains. That was gross. Don’t ever eat that.
46. What’s your favorite NFL team?
Dolphins. I thought this was a baseball interview! ha
47. Favorite NBA team?
Don’t follow NBA too much but I was a fan of the Clippers for a few years back before they got Paul. Terrible team but I liked them.
48. Have you ever been to a World Series game? If so when?
Nope. I would love to though and this MLB Fan Cave is giving one of us the opportunity to go to whoever won. Would be pretty amazing to get that far.
49. What is your biggest pet peeve?
People at stadiums who get mad when you cheer the team on. Get your face away from the iPhone and enjoy the game buddy!
50. Last question, name the one thing you’d bring to the fancave better than any of the other 49 remaining applicants out there now…
Probably some creativity. I have a ton of sketches I’d love to do or questions I want to ask some of the players that would visit. Positivity and fun times.
Give me your closing statements…
I like turtles. No seriously, thanks so much for letting me answer some of these questions and your support with all the MLB Fan Cave finalists. Lets get an Angels fan in the cave and into Yankee Territory. They always come to the Big A, it’s time one of us gets sent to their home! Follow me on Twitter @iBlogBetter and be sure to go vote on MLBFanCave.com. PARTY!
To vote for Ricardo for the MLB Fancave, go here… http://mlb.mlb.com/fancave/index.jsp?content=vote#fbid=AMTZoPdj1Q4